The Greater Wellington area is one of the most beautiful populated areas of New Zealand. The area provides locals and visitors alike with spectacular harbour views and character buildings scattered throughout this capital city’s modern setting.
From the world’s most scenic views, exceptional coffee and top bars to being the most accessible city in New Zealand, Wellington is the place to visit in 2016. There are tons of great attractions in the Greater Wellington area which can take anything from a couple of hours to a full day to see.
Places to Visit & Things to Do
If you want to spend an amazing holiday in the Greater Wellington area, here are some places you should definitely visit:
– Te Papa Museum of New Zealand: with a multitude of intricate carvings, art galleries and other amazingly interactive displays, this is the right place to come with the whole family for a day of learning and exploration.
– The Great War Exhibition at Te Papa: Featuring some of the best war exhibits in the world, you don’t have to be a history buff to appreciate the level of detail that went into creating this exhibit.
– Mount Victoria: Take in Wellington City, the harbour and the ocean views from high above at the peak of Mount Victoria. Walking tracks will take hikers to the top and there is also a road for quick access. In the evenings the harbour road along the coast my have penguins coming in from the sea to nest. They are best seen at dusk between May and June and again in August to November.
– Weta Workshop: J.R.R. Tolkien’s most famous trilogy was brought to life in New Zealand in more ways than one. Take a look behind the scenes of the studio that created the visuals for The Lord of the Rings films, from the armour of the Uruk-hai to the life-like airbrushed models. This is a trip that will impress the older family members as much as the young. Book ahead to avoid disappointment.
– Staglands Wildlife Reserve: winner of a TripAdvisor 2016 Certificate of Excellence, this magnificent location helps you to dive deep into the animal world and enjoy the attention of both native and domesticated animals.
Why Come to Wellington?
If you haven’t decided to visit the Greater Wellington area, here are 3 reasons to do it in 2016:
1. Home of the Lord of the Rings
Almost everyone has seen the trilogy, and many people consider them the best films ever made. When you walk around the Greater Wellington Region you will have the opportunity to visit the set location for the elven settlement of Rivendell. You can also enjoy private horse riding tours, walking tours or hire a private guide to show you around.
2. Strong Coffee Culture
The coffee culture in this area dates back to the 19th century. Kiwis are really experienced at making great tasting coffee, and the multitude of coffee shops in this area prove it. You won’t find coffee as delicious as the ones you find in Wellington in any other place in the world.
Because Wellington is a very relaxed city, unlike other capitals in the world, you will be able to sit down and enjoy the best coffee in the world without feeling pressed to finish and leave the establishment. Soak in the atmosphere and take your time making plans for the rest of the day.
Coffee isn’t the only love of Wellingtonians: there are plenty of tea shops offering exotic tisanes and creative blends. Try before you buy – it’s free!
3. Plenty of Quality Wellington Accommodation Options
After each day of exploring the Greater Wellington Region, you will want to return to accommodation that is clean, quiet and comfortable. If you are looking for quality, affordable accommodation within 20 minutes’ drive of Wellington City, look for Moana Lodge in Porirua.
Moana Lodge is 5-star accredited accommodation in Porirua that offers the best services for backpackers and budget travellers who want to visit Wellington. It has already accumulated impressive reviews and offers immaculate accommodation services plus a wide range of extras to help you enjoy the experience of your life.
Contact us at www.moana-lodge-accommodation.co.nz to learn more about our services and to book your accommodation.